1. Thai Select or Thai Select Premium certification identifies Thai restaurants that offer at least 60 percent authentic Thai foods on their menus. They also imply that these restaurants employthe same or similar cooking methods as in Thailand, and may import ingredients from Thailand.
The certifications,however, neither rates foods nor endorses any quality standard of the restaurant. They merely indicate authenticity of the Thai foods prepared.
2. Thai restaurants bearing Thai Select and Thai Select Platinum logos each receive a certificate with the signature of the Director- General of the Department of Export Promotion (DEP), which would also indicate the date of issue.
3. The certification is divided into two categories based on the levels of design and service excellence:
• Thai Select Premium indicates a degree of excellence of 5-star or higher. This is given to restaurants with a score of 85 or above. With the premium status, the restaurants suggest traditional Thai decorations and outstanding services. Thai foods offered are authentic and are of premium quality. Overall, these restaurants produce a premier dining experience.
• Thai Select indicates a degree of excellence of 3 to 4-stars. This is presented to restaurants with a score between 75 and 84. These restaurants serve fine authentic Thai foods. Overall, these restaurantsoffer diners a fine dining experience.
4. Restaurants that possess the Thai Select or Thai Select Premium certification have menus with at least a 60-percent authentic Thai foods, and fit into one of the following categories:
• Classical Thai Restaurants. This category is reserved for restaurant that boasts traditional Thai decorations as well as features cutleries and serving containers from Thailand. These restaurants may also employ Thai chefs.
• Modern Thai Restaurants. This category does not require restaurants to use traditional Thai design in their decorations and is given to restaurants whose interior design constitute a modern style.
• Fast Food Outlets, Quick Serve Restaurants, or Home Delivery Services are eligible to apply for the Thai Select certificate and logo only. There is no requirement on decoration or design for this category.
To be eligible for certification, restaurants must meet the following criteria:
• Restaurant must have been in operation at least six months prior to the date of application
• At least 60 percent of dishes offered on the menu must be authentic Thai cuisine and the cooking methods must be the same or very similar to those in Thailand
• Head chefs may be either Thai or other nationalities. In case of non-Thai Head Chefs, the chefs must produce proof of at least a 2-year experience in cooking Thai foods or possess a Thai cuisine training certificate from an accredited institution
THAI SELECT APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Complete the application form and prepare accompanying documents.
2. Submit new application along with accompanying documents at the nearest Thailand Trade Office — a branch of the Department of Export Promotion (DEP). (see www.thaitrade.com for contact information or more information on Thailand Trade Offices)
3. Application is then assessed by a committee of qualified representatives from the DEP (please note that all Thailand Trade Offices are a part of the DEP). At this stage, the Thailand Trade Office will also visit the applicant’s restaurant without any prior notification, and evaluate the dining experience.
4. Assessment results are then submitted to the Committee for consideration.
5. Should the Committee find that the restaurant is eligible to receive the Thai Select or the Thai Select Premium certificate, it will inform the DEP Director-General of the verdict.
6. The Director-General then awards the appropriate Thai Select certificate to the restaurant.
7. Thai Select and Thai Select Premium logos and certificates are valid for three years from when they are first given or renewed. These can be renewed at the same Thailand Trade Office when first applied.
PRIVILEGES OF THAI SELECT RESTAURANTS
• Invitations to attend related international trade fairs in Thailand
• Support for public relations activities or general advertisements in both international and domestic media (subjected to the Department of Export Promotion’s marketing plan and budget).
• Support for participation in the Thai Select activities in DEP-Organized international trade fairs, such as THAIFEX
HISTORY OF THAI SELECT
f these are the comments while dining in a restaurant, it must be a scene from a Thai restaurant. Exotic, tasty, and healthy, Thai food is more than a meal ; it’s a culinary experience.
Thai food has rapidly grown in popularity among casual diners and gourmets alike, earning it a status as one of the world’s most popular cuisines. And while most people think of spice meals laced with chili as the predominant factor in Thai food, this is far from the truth. In all Thai dishes, there must always be a balanced harmony of flavors. Few cuisines can offer such a wonderful array of sensations that will delight and tease your taste buds quite like Thai food. Whether in a rich or fragrant Thai curry, spicy soup, savory salad, or sweet dessert, the competing and complementing flavors create a harmonious blend that once tasted will never be forgotten.
At the center of every Thai meal is rice, The staple of the diet. The kingdom is the world’s the finest variety of which is Thai Hom Mali Rice widely recognized as the best in the world. While Thai Hom Mali Rice is the center of every meal, herbs and spices are surely the heart of the meal. For it is these ingredients which provide a dazzling array of delicious and exotic tastes that make Thai cuisine so distinct. In addition to chili, it’s common to find garlic, lemongrass, basil, mint, and others used in Thai cooking. As with all cultures, Thais have used herbs and spices for centuries as essential remedies and medicines. Is it any wonder then that Thai food is considered so healthy ? What makes Thai food extra special is its intricate balance of spicy, sweet, and sour. Tom Yam Goong is a perfect example of blending tastes and flavors . This is a tasty, fiery soup featuring prawns, mushrooms, lemongrass, and others and may very well be the national dish. There is more to Thai food than Tom Yam Goong. It is the cultural heritage that contribute to so much variety. We get delicacies like Pad Thai from the north, a wide variety of curries from the south, grilled meats from the northeast, and fresh seafood from the coastal region. If the great variety of meals and flavor of the Thai cooking is legendary, so then are the preparation methods stir – fried, grilled, steamed, boiled, deep – fried and sun dried. Skilled Thai chef know how to do it.
Thai cuisine takes a pride of place in its natural heritage, practiced as an art and handed down from generation to generation. Thai food not only tastes good but also looks beautiful, with intricate carvings and creative decorations. And a popular way to savor the delight of the Thai meal is dining together with a group of friends and share the many dishes together. It’s always a hearty feast filled with fun and fiery flavors of Thai culinary creations. To enjoy Thai dining, you don’t actually need to be in Thailand. But how can you ensure that you get the real experience ? Simply look for the “Thai Select” logo from Royal Thai Government. They realize the importance of maintaining high standards of quality, and have responded with this seal of approval.
“ Thai Select ” certifies that not only the food, but also the hospitality and the atmosphere of the restaurant. Chefs must be carefully trained in the preparation of bona fide Thai meals. Receiving this prestigious award isn’t easy ; the bar is set high and the guidelines are strict. Still, through training and inspections, high standard Thai Restaurants worldwide have achieved this distinction.
So anywhere in your travels, look for the stamp of approval “Thai Select”. It assures you that delicious Thai cuisine is being served in a pleasant atmosphere, and with a famous Thai smile. It’s not just a meal ; it’s a journey into Thai culture.
• To recognize an endorse quality Thai restaurants.
• To increase the recognition of quality Thai restaurants.
• To encourage Thai restaurateurs to raise their quality standards so that they are at an international level.
Categories of Thai restaurants
• Traditional Thai Cuisine : Restaurants offering Thai cuisine with traditional recipe and maintaining traditional Thai style.
• Modern Thai Cuisine : Restaurants offering Modern Thai cuisine incorporating foods of different countries such as Spaghetti served with Thai green curry sauce and have interior decoration that would be considered Thai style.
• Special Thai Cuisine : Restaurants offering specialty Thai Cuisine.
• Chain restaurants with menus developed with cooperation from Thai government ( Honorable Thai Select ) and offering only Thai cuisine.
Documents Used for Application “Thai Select”
• Copy of Certificate of Business Registration
• Copy of Certificate of Hygiene from Local Authority
• Interior/ Exterior Restaurant Photos
• 3 Photos of Recommended Menu
• Map of Restaurant Location
• Copy of Menu
• Copy of Thai Cuisine Training Certificate
• Copy of Raw Material Purchasing Order or Inspection Report By representative of Overseas Committee (If any)
• PR / Marketing Promotion Plan (If any)
• Example of Ad. / Promotion Material / Website (If any)
• Copy of Award Certificate (If any)
** Incase of Renewal Please Show Previous Thai Select Logo**
Privileges of Thai Select restaurants
1. Support for participation in the Thai Select Activities in Thailand International Trade Fairs, such as Thaifex
2. Invitation to attend international trade fairs in Thailand, annually.
3. Support for public relations/advertisements in general in both international and domestic media (according to DEP plan and budget allocation)
4. Opportunity of participate in development and promotional activities organized by the Department of Export Promotion.